“Please contact us to find out how we can improve your business performance”

Consultancy Services FAQs

1Is it necessary to have a Health & Safety policy and management system?
All UK businesses with 5 or more employees are required by law to have a written Health and safety policy. A well devised Health and Safety Management system will provide your business with a structured mechanism to implement, monitor and review the contents of your Health and Safety policy.
To conduct business successfully, you will be required to provide your clients with evidence of your company’s Health and Safety policy and management system. These will also be required for company quality accreditation schemes, including, ISO 9001,14001, CHAS, ALTIUS, EXOR, etc.
2Can ProSafety assess our current safety requirements?
Yes, our consultants will be happy to review your businesses existing safety management system and recommend any improvements where necessary. Areas of improvements may include provision of a more robust safety management system, workplace safety audits or further staff training.
3Regarding Fire Risk Assessments, what do I have to do in terms of fire safety?
As an employer (and/or building owner or occupier) you are required to carry out and maintain a fire safety risk assessment. This is under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, which applies in England and Wales, and under Part 3 of the Fire (Scotland) Act. The fire safety assessment can be carried out either as a separate exercise or as part of a single risk assessment covering other health and safety risks.
You need to make sure that, based on the findings of the assessment, you take adequate and appropriate fire safety measures to minimise the risk of injury or loss of life in the event of a fire.
4What type of asbestos surveys can you carry out?
There are two types of survey for Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM)

Asbestos Management Survey:
The Management Survey purpose is required to manage ACM (asbestos containing material) during the normal occupation and use of premises. The duty-holder must insure that ACM on his premises are correctly managed and a competent surveyor is required to locate ACM.
An Asbestos Management Survey aims to ensure that:
1. Nobody is harmed by the continuing presence of ACM in the premises or equipment;
2. That the ACM remain in good condition; and
3. That nobody disturbs it accidentally
The Survey must locate ACM that could be damaged or disturbed by normal activities, by foreseeable maintenance, or by installing new equipment. It involves minor intrusion and minor asbestos disturbance to make a Materials Assessment. This shows the ability of ACM, if disturbed, to release fibres into the air. It guides the client, e.g. in prioritising any remedial work.
Asbestos Refurbishment / Demolition Survey:
The Refurbishment / Demolition Survey is required where the premises, or part of it, need upgrading, refurbishment or demolition. The Survey does not need a record of the ACM condition. A competent surveyor is required for Refurbishment / Demolition Surveys.
A Refurbishment / Demolition Survey aims to ensure that:
1. Nobody will be harmed by work on ACM in the premises or equipment; and
2. Such work will be done by a contractor in a safe manner
The Survey must locate and identify all ACM before any structural work begins at a stated location or on stated equipment at the premises. It involves destructive inspection and asbestos disturbance. The area surveyed must be vacated and certified 'fit for reoccupation' after the survey.
5Asbestos Surveys - What is the "duty to manage asbestos” and who has it?
The duty to manage asbestos is a legal requirement under the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 (Regulation 4). It applies to the owners and occupiers of commercial premises (such as shops, offices, industrial units etc) who have responsibility for maintenance and repair activities. In addition to these responsibilities, they also have a duty to assess the presence and condition of any asbestos-containing materials. If asbestos is present, or is presumed to be present, then it must be managed appropriately. The duty also applies to the shared parts of some domestic premises.
6Who’s responsible for managing asbestos in schools?
Anyone who has responsibility for the maintenance and/or repair of non-domestic premises, including schools, is a ‘duty holder’ as defined in Regulation 4 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006. For the majority of schools, the duty holder will be the employer.
Who the employer is varies with the type of school. For community schools, community special schools, voluntary-controlled schools, maintained nursery schools and pupil referral units, the employer is the local authority. For academies, free schools, voluntary-aided and foundation schools, it will be the school governors. For independent schools, it may be the proprietor, governors or trustees.
In situations where budgets for building management are delegated to schools by the local authority, the duty to manage asbestos will be shared between schools and the local authority. The authority’s written scheme for the financing of maintained schools will set out the categories of work that will either be financed from the delegated school budget share (revenue repairs and maintenance) or remain the responsibility of the local authority (capital expenditure). Both parties will therefore have ‘duty holder’ responsibilities for the repair and maintenance of the premises.
7Who needs Asbestos Awareness Training and why?
All workers who are liable to disturb asbestos during their normal work should be trained so that they can recognise asbestos containing materials and know what to do if they come across them. The training needs to be appropriate for the work and the roles undertaken by individuals. There are three types of asbestos training:
  • Awareness training
  • Training for work with asbestos that does not require a licence from HSE
  • Training for asbestos work that does require a licence from HSE
Asbestos Awareness Training:
This training is required for those persons who are liable to disturb asbestos while carrying out their normal everyday work, or who may influence how work is carried out, such as:
General maintenance workers, Electricians, Plumbers, Joiners, Painters and decorators, Plasterers, Gas fitters, Construction workers, Roofers, Shop fitters, Heating and ventilation engineers, Demolition workers, Telecommunication engineers, Fire/burglar alarm installers, Computer installers, Architects, Building surveyors, etc
Please note: There are other occupations that are liable to disturb asbestos in addition to those listed above. You will need awareness training so you know how to avoid the risks and how to protect yourself. Important - Asbestos awareness training is not enough if you plan to carry out any work with asbestos containing materials
8I have heard that competence is a key issue in the CDM Regulations, why is this?
CDM 2007 competence is about being able to do your work safely, not endanger others and meet the legal health and safety requirements. There is justifiable emphasis on competence, because competent people are generally recognised as safer. The duties in the Regulations work both ways. People making appointments have to take reasonable steps to make sure those appointed are competent for what they are expected to do. Likewise, those accepting such appointments should only do so if they are competent to undertake the activity.
9What is the definition of competence?
To be competent an organisation or individual must have:
  • Sufficient knowledge of the tasks to be undertaken and the risks involved
  • The experience and ability to carry out their duties in relation to the project, to recognise their limitations and take appropriate action to prevent harm to those carrying out construction work, or those affected by the work
Competence develops over time. Individuals develop their competence through a mix of initial training, on-the-job learning, instruction, assessment and formal qualification. In the early stages of training and experience, individuals should be closely supervised. As competence develops, the need for direct supervision should be reduced.
If you are engaging a person or organisation to carry out construction work for you, then you need to make a reasonable judgement of their competence based on evidence. The evidence will usually be supplied to you by the person or organisation quoting or bidding for the work.
There are many industry card schemes which can help in judging competence. However, the possession of a card by an individual is only one indication of competence. You are expected to make efforts to establish what qualifications and experience the cardholder has.
10What do I need to do to comply with the Work at Height Regulations 2005?
The Regulations apply to all work at height where there is risk of a fall that is liable to cause personal injury. They place duties on employers, the self-employed and any person who controls the work of others (such as facilities managers or building owners who may contract others to work at height).As part of the Regulations, duty holders must ensure:
  • All work at height is properly planned and organised
  • Those involved in work at height are competent
  • The risks from work at height are assessed, and appropriate work equipment is selected and used
  • The risks of working on or near fragile surfaces are properly managed
  • The equipment used for work at height is properly inspected and maintained
There is a simple hierarchy for managing work at height and selecting the appropriate access equipment.
Duty holders must:
  • Avoid work at height where possible, for example doing the work from ground level
  • Use work equipment or other measures to prevent falls, where work at height cannot be avoided
  • Use work equipment or other measures to minimise the distance and consequences of potential falls, where the risk cannot be eliminated

Training Courses FAQs

1Are you able to offer advice on our company’s training needs?
Yes, our consultants will be able to explain where possible training is required and how best to serve your requirements
2Where are the courses held?
At a location to best suit you. Most clients prefer to hold training courses on their own premises (ProSafety) but we can deliver courses in any suitable venue, arranged either by us or a client.Many of our courses can be delivered within training venues throughout the UK
3Do delegates get any form of certification?
All accredited courses conclude with an examination. Successful candidates receive certificates from the awarding body. Certificates of attendance or achievement are issued to delegates attending other courses
4Can two ½ day courses be completed in one day?
Yes, any of our ½ day training courses are designed to complement one another. A mixture of courses can be chosen so that training can be delivered in one day, providing our clients with maximum value and productivity.
5Can you offer discounts on some training courses?
Yes,obviously each course is very different and a minimum number of delegates are required, but generally the more delegates booked on each course, the greater the discount we may be able to offer.
Please contact our training team to discuss training requirements, group rates or company discounts